Thursday, January 19, 2006

Would you like a spot of tea Mommy?

I am always trying to come up with fun things to do with OG. After a while the toys she has played with for months need to be put away and forgotten for a while and then brought back out later so they are more exciting again...after a while the Baby Einstein Videos (or Baby Crack as we like to refer to them because they are so addictive) become like the Bugs Bunny episodes you have seen fifty million times....after a while, you need to quit singing "Wheels on the Bus" and come up with a new song to sing. You get the point!

Soo, in my quest for new fun things to do while Daddy was out of town earlier this week, I remembered that OG had received a china tea set for her baptism last year. She was too young to play with it at the time, but at 19 months now, she is just the right age. This little set has a cute wicker basket, mini teacups, a teapot, mini plates & some dangerous silverware (we will break that out later when she is older...like 16, ha). It also comes with a fun little blue & white gingham "tablecloth" and napkins.

OG has never played "tea-time" that I know of so I was not sure how she would react to this new toy. I pulled the basket out of her closet and opened it up on her bedroom floor. I then spread out the tablecloth and napkins and got out the tea set. I showed her how to "pour" tea and how to sip from the glasses and how to make slurping sounds like she was drinking (now hush your mouth, I KNOW that is not very proper, but we will work on the table manners later...she is only 19 months old for goodness sake). She was so cute with it and caught on very quickly. I had her refill my cup numerous times and she & I had fun. She pours the "tea" by holding on to the spout and "pouring" from the handle...a little backwards but again, only 19 months people!! *I* was impressed so that is all that matters.

A few months back we went to an afternoon Tea-Time at a swanky Hotel in our city. Every afternoon they have an "Americanized Tea" in their lobby with finger sandwiches, cookies, biscotti, etc and the most fabulous teas!! It is VERY girlie and so much fun!

At the tea OG was presented with her own mini teacup and had a goodtime...as you can see from the picture she even perfected the "pinki-sip" that all good southern girls must learn.

"Bless her heart!!"

Emily Post would be so proud, even with the slurping! Mommy certainly is!!

No comments: